Today my guest is Marianne Williamson, the internationally acclaimed spiritual author and lecturer. Six of her eleven published books have been New York Times Best Sellers. Four of these have been #1. The mega best-seller A Return to Love contains the famous paragraph, beginning “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.” The depth of this sentiment is staggering, especially for women.
Marianne founded Project Angel Food, a meals-on- wheels program that serves homebound people with AIDS in the Los Angeles area. She also co-founded the Peace Alliance, and serves on the Board of Directors of the RESULTS organization, working to end the worst ravages of hunger and poverty throughout the world.
Her weekly lectures in New York City are available via Livestream on her website Marianne.com, where you will also find loads of other amazing content.
In Marianne’s recent book: Tears to Triumph: The Spiritual Journey from Suffering to Enlightenment she argues that we—as a culture and as individuals—have learned to avoid facing pain. By doing so, we are neglecting the spiritual work of healing.
In this episode, Marianne and I spoke about:
- The age we are living in: “Age of the Choir”
- How Depression is addressed in our culture and the transformative power of the Dark Night of the Soul
- The barrage of meaninglessness that literally “bruises the Spirit” occurring in our world today, and how it is essential to heal the spirit on our journey toward wholeness
- How miracles are actually thoughts and how to navigate our emotions
- Forgiveness, and how it can be a bridge between our inner work and what we create in the world.
After we recorded this podcast, Marianne wanted me to pass along the important message to anybody taking medication for depression, mental illness or other pain: Marianne strongly recommends that should you desire to alter your medication, or get off them altogether, that you do so under the strict supervision and consultation of your doctor.
Here is my conversation “Tears to Triumph” with the fabulous torch-bearer of Spirituality: Marianne Williamson.
And please be sure to rate us while you’re there!